- BBC Planet Earth Film Crew arrive at Governors Camp
- New On-line availability for Sanctuary Retreats Botswana & Zambia
- More Shuttle-Bus Services between Johannesburg and Swaziland
- Mozambique Voyages Office Opens in Maputo, Mozambique
- Richard E. Grant to Attend Swaziland MTN Bushfire Festival 2012
- New bush spa for Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp - Uganda
- Season 4: Selinda Canoe Trail starts today
- Jock Safari Lodge Unveils ‘Fitzpatrick’s at Jock’
- Jenman Safaris “strips” to support the rhinos!
- Better Connections to Malawi from London Heathrow
Merrist Wood Students Visit Shamwari Game Reserve
Part of Shamwari Group, Shamwari Game Reserve situated in the Eastern Cape, recently hosted the Merrist Wood College students from the UK who took part in the unique Shamwari Conservation Experience.
Every year Merrist Wood College students that study Animal Management spend a month at Shamwari Game Reserve, to gain practical experience for their course work through the Shamwari Conservation Experience Student Centre.
Students get involved in tracking and monitoring the Big 5, capturing game (springbok, white rhino, lion and buffalo) for various rehabilitation and care purposes, learning about alien vegetation and even fix Shamwari’s river crossings etc.
During their recent visit, they had the privilege of assisting with the expansion of Shamwari’s garden nursery as well as painting Sinovuyo, a nearby community day care centre.
Students also got the opportunity to work with Dr Johan Joubert, Shamwari’s veterinarian, with a lioness that had been wounded. Students watched as he treated the wound on her leg and performed a general health check before returning her to the wild.
Comments Dr Johan Joubert, “It is a feel good experience to be part of their education and share our knowledge here at Shamwari, whether it is about wildlife conservation or the actual land rehabilitation that is all part of our daily job here on the reserve.”
“Conserving a Vanishing Way of Life“
This press release was distributed on behalf of our client, Shamwari Group