Abbas Abrahams Inducted Into Disciples d'Auguste Escoffier
November 2012: African Pride Crystal Towers Hotel & Spa’s Executive Chef Abbas Abrahams has become one of only a handful of South African chefs to ever be inducted into the exclusive Disciples d'Auguste Escoffier, which counts among its members some of the most acclaimed chefs in the world today.
The organisation recently held its annual gala dinner in Africa for the first time, and chose to honour the deluxe Century City hotel and its executive chef.
Abrahams says it was perhaps the most daunting banquet he has ever prepared.
“There’s nothing like cooking for some of the most famous chefs in the world to pile on the pressure!
“I couldn’t miss the chance, though, of showcasing South Africa’s incredible lamb so that was the meat main course, accompanied by onion potato puree, sautéed long stem broccoli and asparagus and a pomegranate jus.
“The biggest pressure came from the fact that as world-class chefs, their attention to detail is almost fanatical and they have incredibly refined taste buds. Every plate had to go out identical and perfect.
“My TEAM must have done a good job, because after the mains when our inductions were taking place, nobody gave me an even halfway dirty look!”
Protea Hospitality Group CEO Arthur Gillis congratulated Abrahams on his induction.
“Abbas is a shining example of the talent of our chefs. He has been a passionate advocate of South African cuisine for 30 years, and has stayed true to his culinary roots while evolving into the sort of chef who could walk into any of the world’s finest hotels and do us proud.
“Abbas started his career with the Protea Hospitality Group all of three decades ago and we are immensely proud of how he’s grown and what he has achieved.”
For more information contact
Senior Account Director Irvine Bartlett
(+27) 21 424-5594
083 3177 062
About African Pride Hotels, Lodges and Country Houses
Protea Hotels’ superior luxury collection, African Pride Hotels, offers the highest international standards of service excellence, luxury accommodation and superior facilities, ensuring that GUESTS experience the best of South Africa, as well as the proud spirit of the continent, as the name implies.
African Pride's 13 hotels, safari lodges and country houses have a presence in popular tourist destinations, including Cape Town, Johannesburg, Hermanus and the Cape Winelands. For more information, please visit www.africanpridehotels.com. The African Pride deluxe hotels, lodges and country houses comprise:
1. African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
2. African Pride Crystal Towers Hotel & Spa - The winner of the Resort/Hotel Spa Category in the Les Nouvelles Esthetiques Spa Awards 2011
3. African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel – Winner of the House & Leisure Best Hotel in SA 2010
4. African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
5. Arabella Hotel & Spa
6. African Pride Irene Country Lodge
7. African Pride Tribe (Nairobi, Kenya) - One of Condé Nast Traveller’s 40 hottest spas in the world on its Hot List Spas 2011.
8. African Pride Endless Horizons Boutique Hotel
9. African Pride Pumba Private Game Reserve
10. African Pride The Sands at St Francis
11. African Pride Hacklewood Hill Country House
12. African Pride Audacia Manor
13. African Pride Mosselberg on Grotto