Atta is a member of “PROFIT” The Prevention of Fraud in Tourism who have released the following warning today:
From the middle of December onwards PROFiT has received a high number of notifications of bogus websites that are either direct facsimiles of genuine websites, or are websites that use confusingly similar names and domain names as genuine companies.
It is very easy for someone to duplicate your website and we continue to urge all companies to be vigilante and regularly check their own search terms. We would advise that you use the Google search as well as the Google Adwords search when carrying our checks.
It is our experience that many of these websites are set up with the sole aim of committing fraud against the consumer. To this end they often show trade body membership names, logo’s, and numbers and also may show IATA and Civil Aviation ATOL details.
Should you be unfortunate enough to discover a bogus website masquerading as your company please take the following steps:
2. Check the ownership of the company. If UK based use http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo;
3. If you own the trade marks to your brand then you should send a ‘cease and desist’ letter to the contact address, domain contact and company registered at Companies House;
4. Let any official body whose link, logo, name, or membership number appears know of the bogus website and details you have found out so that they can take action: Civil Aviation Authority and/or IATA;
5. Let any trade body whose link, logo, name, or membership number appears know of the bogus website and details you have found out so that they can take action: ABTA; Advantage Travel Centres; AITO; ATTA; Barrhead Travel; Broadway Travel; Cooperative Travel; Midcounties Cooperative Travel; Freedom Travel Group; Hays Travel; Protected Travel Services; Travel Counsellors; TTA/The Travel Network; The Travel Vault;
6. Report the bogus website to the Police through ACTION FRAUD http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud;
7. Report the bogus website to PROFiT along with all details and the ACTION FRAUD reference and we will follow this up where possible on your behalf.