- The socio-economic case for tourism in Kruger Lowveld/Ehlanzeni
- New immigration office to ease Mara-Serengeti crossings
- Tourism Business Council unpacks SONA highlights
- Tourism corporation, UN agency in drive for eco-friendly hotels
- Google street view adds new #AfriTravel desitinations
- Tropical Cyclone Dineo
- Fastjet suspends Vic Falls-Johannesburg flights, seeks lighter aircraft to contain costs
SANParks announces tourism investment summit
An inaugural tourism investment summit for national parks, to be hosted by South African National Parks (SANParks), will be held in Sandton, Johannesburg, on 27 March, SANParks announceed on Saturday.
The inaugural summit organised by SANParks would strive to present new investment opportunities, attract developers and financiers, and profile national parks in South Africa as viable investment hubs, SANParks CEO Fundisile Mketeni said.
“National parks offer potential investors an unparalleled diversity of opportunities in various disciplines, which include adventure activities, eco-tourism properties, retail, and many more.”
As long ago as 2000, SANParks adopted a commercialisation strategy with the objective of establishing private-public partnerships (PPPs) initiatives, which had resulted in a two-tiered approach leading primarily to granting concessions for the construction and management of eco-tourism lodges and outsourcing retail shops and restaurants.
“This led to a significant funding of conservation and creating sustainability for SANParks,” he said.