- Texas Game Wardens Begin Exchange Program with South African National Parks Game Rangers
- New Land Purchase to Create Botanical Garden in Tanzania
- 'I'm here to save Mother Nature' – meet the man battling poachers in Zambia
- The real Jurassic Park: Inside story of the wild zoology experiment that could have gone horribly wrong
- Application for Membership - Nature Discovery
- Double harvest: Maasai women keep bees and get to conserve their environment
- New Whale Heritage Site - Durban, South Africa
- Ellen DeGeneres has raised $5 million for the conservation of mountain Gorillas
- Wheels Up on More Flights to the African Continent
- Kenya birdwatchers log migrating birds for Spring Alive
South African tourism statistics remain flatBy Atta
Overseas tourist numbers to South Africa are almost identical to last year’s August numbers, according to the August 2019 Tourism and Migrations Statistics report published by Statistics SA.
August saw a drop in travellers from Europe and Australasia, while North America, the Middle East and Central and South America saw an increase. Asia has remained flat.
Year-to-date comparisons (Jan to Aug cumulative tourist numbers) mirror the Europe and Australasia August fall-off with a decrease of 34 427 (3.4%), and 3 217 (3.8%) in traveller numbers respectively.
The Middle East market has had the best year-to-date performance so far with a growth of 1 856 travellers or 5.4% growth.
Asia has grown by 1% or 2 100 travellers year-to-date, while North America as well as South and Central America remain flat.
Overseas tourist numbers have dropped overall year-to-date by 34 093 tourists or 2%.
Source: Tourism Update
View the full report from Stats SA here