- London to Durban route enhances city's potential as holiday destination
- Community tourism has potential to improve opportunities for African women
- Uganda Airlines Mombasa flights to start
- Kenya announces effort to plant 2 billion tree seedlings by 2022
- Sleeping wild dogs on a plane from SA to Mozambique is a sight to behold
- Lufthansa expands long-haul network, introduces connection from Windhoek to Frankfurt
- Defenders of the forest - Madagascar
- African Parks and Zimbabwe Government partner to manage and restore Matusadonha National Park
- Ankle bracelets for hippos could keep them safe
- Mozambique: Tourism on the Increase, says Prime Minister
Birders’ paradise: 11 new bird species discovered in UgandaBy Atta
Bird watchers coming to Uganda are getting more than what they bargain for. This follows confirmation of 10 new bird species sighted within the last four years.
According to Achilles Byaruhanga, the executive director of Nature Uganda, the scientists also confirmed a species that were first encountered in Uganda in 2012.
Byaruhanga said that the ardent bird watchers also known as birders keep on encountering birds they have not seen before every year. “We keep on adding new species nearly every year,” he said.
He added that the scientists' reports on the new species have to be reviewed by their peers and the committee of eminent ornithologists based in East Africa.
Professor Derrick Pomeroy of Makerere University who has trained most of the Ugandan ornithologists is one of the eminent persons sitting on the East African committee that confirmed the new bird species.
Speaking ahead of the Big Birding Day at the Uganda Museum on Thursday. Byaruhanga yesterday listed the discoveries over the years to include: new sightings in 2012.
Read the full article and see images here: New Vision