Tourism recovery plan to be submitted to cabinet next month

Tourism Minister Mmamokolo Kubayi-Ngubane says the department is finalising the country's tourism recovery plan with a view of submitting it to cabinet next month.

She said this when she outlined the department’s priorities for the year ahead during a National Assembly virtual mini-plenary on Wednesday.

She said this as the tourism sector finds itself in a severe state due to the after-effects of lockdown.

"Working together with various stakeholders we have put together the tourism recovery plan and we are in the final stages of consultation and we will within the month of August submit the plan for cabinet for approval.

"So far, the indications are that Tourism recovery will experience a number of phases, from hyper-local community attractions, through to broader domestic tourism, regional land and air markets, and resumption of world-wide international travel," she said.

Kubayi-Ngubane said with regards to interventions, the department envisages that phase one of interventions will primarily focus on the protection of the domestic supply side of the sector. In phase two, the emphasis will be on managing the re-opening of the sector as tourism activities scale up.

Read more

Source: Bizcommunity