- Introducing Atta Advisory Board Member: Nick Aslin
- New Atta Members this month - March 2019
- Pope Francis to visit three African capitals in September tour
- Map of Africa Monument unveiled in Agulhas National Park
- A ride inside Rwanda’s first double-decker sightseeing bus
- SportPesa deals boosting Kenya's tourism sector
- Companies using animals in adverts to donate to wildlife charities
- Uganda Tourism Board sets sight on water transport tourism
- Introducing Atta's Crisis Management Advisor
- Gabon: Africa's Last Eden
Acceptable check-in baggage for departing passengers out of O.R. Tambo International Airport
In order to increase operational efficiency and on-time performance for luggage processing, O.R. Tambo International Airport has embarked on an awareness campaign through a soft launch to enable departing passengers to comply with acceptable baggage restrictions.
Round bags, bags with long hanging straps and those without flat surfaces are the largest sources of jams in the baggage handling system, causing shutdowns, delays and inconvenience to passengers and airlines.
Global best practice indicates that large international airports are increasingly adopting acceptable baggage standards.
The acceptable baggage rules are:
- Only regular-shaped bags will be allowed at check-in counters.
- Bags must have at least one flat surface to be accepted.
- Bags with long hanging straps will not be accepted for check-in.
- Passengers will be requested to secure or remove straps before checking in.
- Round bags will not be allowed at check-in counters.
- Passengers can visit a baggage-wrapping station at O.R Tambo International Airport to wrap their bags at a standard cost of R90 per bag.
- The cost of wrapping an irregular bag is no different from the normal cost of wrapping a regularly-shaped bag.
- Should a passenger’s bag require the insertion of a flat surface base there will be no additional cost, the cost remain at R90.
- All costs required to make an irregular bag compliant to the requirements will be for the passenger’s account.
*Note: This rule only applies to passengers departing out of O.R. Tambo International Airport. The normal rules for hand luggage are still applicable.
Please see below examples of acceptable and unacceptable bags. Visit the ACSA website for more information.
For any enquiries please contact:
Assistant General Manager: Operations Services
+27 82 336 6626
Assistant General Manager: Client and Passenger Services
+27 62 835 9185